Tehri OR Aloo Pulao
by Seema Iqbal
Home made Tehri served with Raita
Tehri is a popular rice dish cooked with the chunks of potatoes. It is a famous item in the North Indian daily menu and cooked in every household. Sometimes this delicious rice preparation is also called Aloo Pulao. There are various ways to prepare this dish, some add seasonal vegetables, carrot chunks, green peas, etc. which makes the dish yummy and colorful too. Here is a basic recipe; but you can make variations to adjust to your taste buds.
1. Basmati rice: ½ kg. soaked for 30 minutes
2. Oil: 3 to 4 tablespoon
3. Cardamom: 3 Nos. whole
4. Cloves: 3 Nos. whole
5. Black peppercorns: 10 Nos.
6. Cinnamon stick: 1 inch piece
7. Cumin seeds whole: ¾ tablespoon (optional)
8. Onion: 2 No. medium size, chopped
9. Ginger-garlic paste: ¾ tablespoon
10. Green Chilli: 2 - 3 Nos. chopped
11. Curry leaves: 10 to 12 Nos.
12. Red chilli powder: ¾ tablespoon
13. Turmeric powder: ¼ tablespoon
14. Salt: to taste
15. Potatoes: 3 Nos. medium size, cut into chunks
16. Tomatoes: 2 Nos. chopped
17. Water: almost double the quantity of rice
18. Coriander leaves: 1 cup, chopped
Step by step method for easy cooking:
Wash and soak rice in water for 20 – 30 minutes. Keep rest of the ingredients ready and handy.
In a rice pot, heat oil, add whole Garam Masala (ingredient No. 3 to 6), add cumin seeds (optional) and sauté for a minute. Then add onion and fry until golden brown. Now add ginger-garlic paste, green chilli, curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt (approximately 1 tablespoonful) and sauté them together for a minute. Now add one cup of water and when it boils add potato chunks and tomatoes and cook until potatoes are 90% done.
Now add rest of the water and bring to boiling point. Add rice to the boiling water and slow down the flame after two minutes. Add coriander leaves, mix only once and cover the rice pot. Let it cook on low flame, which might take approximately 10 - 12 minutes.
The Tehri or Aloo Pulao is now ready to serve! Transfer the preparation to serving plate, garnish and serve with any Raita. Indian pickle is also a good accompaniment for this delicious dish.
Important and useful tips:
1. Using chunks of carrot and some green peas would add to taste and color.
2. You may also add a 2 cubes of Maggi Chicken Stock for excellent result, but if have doubt in finding Halal product you better avoid it.
3. You may also serve cucumber raita, Indian pickle or any gravy as accompaniment.