2 Chinese Crab Soup Recipes
Chinese seafood soups
> Chinese crab soup recipes
Enjoy these 2 Chinese crab soup recipes.
Fresh crab meat adds a touch of luxury to Chinese soups. But if you cannot get your hands on fres crabs, canned ones are okay.
1. Low fat creamy crab soup
This crab soup recipe makes a satisfying creamy soup thickened slightly with cornstarch and cream of corn.
It is low fat because the creaminess of the soup comes from the cream of corn and cornstarch solution not dairy cream. I like this soup because I am lactose intolerant and will almost always suffer a stomach ache if I consume creamy soup made with dairy products.
- 1 can of corn (cream style)
- 150g fresh crab meat
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of bacon bits
- 500ml soup stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp cornstarch solution
To make cornstarch solution, add 3 tbsp of water to 1 tbsp of cornstarch. Stir to break up any lumps. You can also use arrowroot or potato starch.
- Combine cream of corn and soup stock in a pot
- Heat over stove till the corn soup starts to boil
- Add the crab meat into the soup , stirring gently to break up any big clumps of meat
- When the corn soup starts to boil, pour the cornstarch mixture into the soup slowly. If you are new to using cornstarch, add it in one spoonful at a time. Stir after each addition until the soup thickens to a consistency you want
- Bring the corn soup to a boil again
- Beat the egg white slightly
- Remove the soup from the stove and quickly drizzle the egg white into the soup. Use a pair of chopsticks or fork, place at the edge of the bowl to guide the egg white flow
- Give the soup a few quick gentle stirs to separate the egg white
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle the bacon bits on top of corn and crab soup just before serving.
2. Egg drop soup with crab meat
This crab soup is simple to make with soft tofu and eggs. Everyone should try it. It is a perfect recipe for leftover crab.
- 1 can crab meat or 100g fresh crab meat
- 2 eggs
- 1 packet soft tofu
- 6 cups chicken soup stock
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch mixture
- Dash of sesame seed oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mash the crab meat to break up any big lumps
- Beat the eggs
- Cut the soft tofu into thin strips
- Bring the soup stock to a boil, add the crab meat and tofu
- Bring back to a boil, add the salt and pepper to taste
- Add the cornstarch mixture to thicken the soup
- Turn off the heat and do the egg drop
- Stir gently to break up the egg and prevent clumping
- Add the sesame seed oil
- Serve hot
Happy Souping, Phoebe