2 Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes
Chinese noodle soup
> Chinese chicken noodle soup
2 Chinese chicken noodle soup that are quite the opposite of each other.
Chinese chicken noodle soup is the Chinese take on a classic dish. Use the first recipe as a base and change the dish by using different types of noodles: fresh egg noodle, dried egg noodle, thick rice noodles or flat rice noodles.
If using fresh noodles, blanch them quickly for 2 minutes. Blanching softens the noodles, and wash away excess oil, starch and dirt.
If using dried noodles, cook till el dente. They don't take as long as pasta. To keep the noodles springy, dunk them quickly in cold water after draining to stop the cooking.
1. Rice cooker chicken noodle soup
Cooking a noodle soup dish in a rice cooker is not common. I came across it while browsing Rice Cooker Book by Brigid Treloar.
Having said that, you don't have to use the rice cooker to cook this noodle soup. Any soup pot would do.
You can brown the chicken pieces first before placing them into the rice cooker to give the dish more flavour. Alternatively, skip step 1 to 4 by using leftover or store-bought chicken.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 440g fresh egg noodles
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Cut chicken into serving pieces
- Put chicken pieces, onion, garlic, bay leaves and stock in rice cooker bowl
- Close lid and press "cook"
- Bring to a boil and cook for 40 minutes
- Remove chicken from pot and pull meat off bones
- Set aside and keep warm
- Add noodles, peas, carrots, and chicken to rice cooker bowl
- Press "cook" and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes
- Remove bay leaves and discard
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve garnished with parsley and accompanied with crusty bread
2. Instant chicken noodle soup recipe
This recipe uses the dried noodle square from an instant noodle pack. Throw away the accompanying flavour pack as we are going to make our own soup base.
This can also be one of the easiest leftover chicken recipes. I think it beats a chicken sandwich in terms of taste and calories. Skip step 3 if using leftover chicken.
- 150g instant noodles
- 3 fresh Chinese mushrooms
- 1 stalk of spring onion
- 1/2 boneless chicken thigh fillet
- 500ml chicken stock
- 10ml salad oil
- Dash of pepper
- Cook the noodles and spring onion
- Place the noodle and spring onion in the serving bowl
- Heat the salad oil in a pan, add the chicken and brown it slightly
- Add the chicken stock and Chinese mushrooms
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked
- Remove the chicken and pour the soup and mushrooms carefully into the serving bowl of noodles and spring onion
- Cut the chicken into thick slices and pile neatly on top of the noodle soup
I hope these 2 chicken noodle soup recipes is only a starting point for you to explore and enjoy the numerous variations of noodles.
Happy Souping, Phoebe